We are hiring! SEN Teaching Assistants
15 Feb 2022
We are looking to appoint SEN Teaching Assistants to work at our New Mills and Glossop Saturday schools. We would like to hear from people who champion our fully inclusive and diverse ethos, who have high energy and are supportive and patient. An SEN Teaching Assistant role gives a tremendous opportunity to make a positive difference to pupils’ experience at Take Part and offers real support to students who need it. You will be required to give assistance and support to individual pupils. We have various posts to support children with different needs and ages. The role will include giving support and guidance, life skills coaching and working alongside our Performing Arts teaching team.
Locations: New Mills School & Glossopdale sites
Hours of work: Saturdays, 09.00-12.00.
Qualifications: Level 2/3 Teaching Assistant/School support (or be willing to work towards).
Experience: must have experience of working with children with additional needs.
Successful candidates are likely to demonstrate:
– Ability to guide and encourage supportive independence when possible
– Exceptional communication skills and patience
– Ability to be creative in meeting children’s emotional and social needs
To work under the instruction of our SENCO to support the emotional and social learning of pupils with special educational needs. Work with children and young people who have a range of significant and often complex SEND for example those with autism, social, emotional and mental health difficulties. To encourage the pupils to TAKE PART in the ‘theatrical experience’, and enable pupils to become more independent.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with teachers to provide effective support for activities;
- To work with children and young people who have complex needs. Providing an appropriate level of emotional and physical support where necessary;
- Support pupils to understand instructions, support independent learning and inclusion of all pupils;
- Provide support to pupils who have communication difficulties;
- Implement and contribute to planned learning activities/teaching programmes as agreed with the teacher, adjusting activities according to pupils’ responses as appropriate;
- Support the Teaching Team in behaviour management;
- Support learning by arranging/providing resources for lessons/activities under the direction of the Teaching Team and in line with health and safety requirements;
- Support pupils in their social development and their emotional well-being, reporting problems to the teacher as appropriate;
- Share appropriate information about pupils with other staff, parents / carers
- Provide basic first aid
Qualifications -Minimum of a Level 2 Diploma (or equivalent) with proficient practical skills. Minimum of GCSE Grade C or higher (or equivalent) in English and Mathematics
Experience -Previous experience of working or volunteering with children in the Early Years, Key Stage 1 or 2. Desirable to have worked with children with SEND
Skills and abilities – Have the ability to relate well to children and adults, understanding their needs and being able to respond accordingly. Good influencing skills to encourage pupils to interact with others and be socially responsible. Specialist training or experience of speech and language support programmes, using Makaton or other similar skills (desirable).
Knowledge – Knowledge of policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety, security, equal opportunities and confidentiality. Knowledge of SEND, e.g. ADHD, Autistic Spectrum, Speech and Language needs or similar (desirable)
Take Part is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young adults in our care, and is an equal opportunities employer.